What Should You Do if you Have a Dispute with your Mover?

What should you do if a problem arises with your mover? You should first attempt to work out an agreement with your mover to resolve the dispute. However, if both you and the mover are not able to agree, you have two options:

  1. Seek an arbitration hearing; or
  2. Initiate legal action against your mover.

The Federal Regulations require that your mover have an arbitration program to resolve disputes about property loss and damage, and disputes about whether the mover charges in addition to those collected at delivery must be paid. If you choose arbitration, you need to contact your mover to request an arbitration hearing. The mover must agree to arbitration if your claim is less than or equal to $10,000. The mover may refuse to participate in the arbitration if your claim exceeds $10,000. In this event, your only option is to initiate legal action. There is often a fee charged to initiate an arbitration hearing, and it is split between you and the mover. However, the arbitrator has the authority to determine who should pay the cost of the arbitration hearing.

If you choose to file a lawsuit in the appropriate court in your state, you need to serve or send the legal papers to the mover’s process agent in that state. A process agent is a representative of the mover with whom court papers may be served.

Follow the instructions below to locate the process agent in your state.

  1. Go to https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on CONTINUE
  3. At the top of the screen click on CHOOSE MENU OPTION, for the drop down box and select CARRIER SEARCH, then press GO
  4. Type in the U.S. DOT or MC number for the carrier
  5. Click on HTML
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the page, see BLANKET COMPANY and click on the link
  7. You will see a list of process agents by state; locate the process agent for your state

Source: FMCSA: www.fmcsa.dot.gov

Chat is available on business days from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CST. If you would like to speak with a counselor outside of these hours, please return to the home screen and press the call button. If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please proceed to the nearest emergency room or call 911 immediately.