How to Apply for a Veterans Burial Allowance

You may be able to get burial allowances if you’re paying for the burial and funeral costs, and if any of the below relationships or professional roles describes your connection to the Veteran.

One of these must describe your relationship or role. You’re:

  • The Veteran’s surviving spouse (Note: we recognize same-sex marriages), or
  • A surviving child of the Veteran, or
  • A parent of the Veteran, or
  • The executor or administrator of the Veteran’s estate (someone who officially represents the Veteran)

To get this benefit, the Veteran must not have received a dishonorable discharge, and one of the below circumstances must be true of the Veteran. They:

  • Died as a result of a service-connected disability (a disability related to service), or
  • Had been getting a VA pension or compensation when they died, or
  • Had chosen to get military retired pay instead of compensation, or
  • Died while getting VA care, either at a VA facility or at a facility contracted by VA, or
  • Died while traveling to approved VA care, or
  • Died with a reopened claim for VA compensation or a pension that would have qualified them to get benefits, or
  • Died on or after October 9, 1996, while a patient at a VA-approved state nursing home

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs also provides an allowance for the cost of transporting a Veteran’s remains for burial in a national cemetery.

Filing a claim and benefits

You must file a claim for a non-service-connected burial allowance within 2 years after the Veteran’s burial or cremation. If a Veteran’s discharge was changed after death from dishonorable to another status, you must file for an allowance claim within 2 years after the discharge update.

There’s no time limit to file for a service-connected burial, plot, or interment allowance.

Benefits include:

  • An allowance for burial and funeral costs
  • An allowance for the plot or interment
  • An allowance for transporting the Veteran’s remains for burial in a national cemetery

Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:

Chat is available on business days from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CST. If you would like to speak with a counselor outside of these hours, please return to the home screen and press the call button. If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please proceed to the nearest emergency room or call 911 immediately.